In today’s climate getting a job can be really challenging. It’s getting more and more competitive as the world gets smaller and an applicant needs to do everything in their power to stand out from the crowd. In an ever more globalised world, having international experiences, especially work-related, is crucial. Working abroad and gaining international experience allows you to grow in so many ways and companies are aware of this.
Taking part in an experience like this will allow you to develop personally in so many mays;
- Firstly, you will have the opportunity to live independently. This may be your first experience away from home and it will help you develop so much as a person. For example; increasing your independence and problem-solving skills, overcoming the challenges of living and working abroad, dealing with bureaucracy, accepting different working practices and surviving without your usual support network of family and friends. All this increases your resourcefulness and resilience.
- It gives you the opportunity to explore a new country and a new culture. This will provide you with one of the key ingredients of personal growth, which is perspective. Perspective on where you come from and the way you think, broadening the way you see the world and making you a more tolerant person.
- You will gain experience working in your field under the supervision of seasoned professionals. They will allow you to put into practice the skills and knowledge you’ve acquired from your studies and past experiences. All the while learning new things that can only come from working experience.
- It will allow you to experience different work atmospheres and make it easier to adapt to new situations which, considering how fast things change nowadays, is a real asset.
- Sometimes there is the opportunity of a job offer after the internship is successfully complete.
- You will get the chance to improve your English communicational skills since you will be interacting with native speakers.
- And lastly, you will have the opportunity to start establishing a network of international contacts that could be helpful to your future as a professional.
Companies are very aware of the advantages that someone with an international background brings to the table. So, someone with an internship abroad on their CV is likely to be considered before someone who doesn’t. An international experience means you are a person who takes risks, is willing to learn, adapts easily to new situations and has gained a valuable international experience. What company wouldn’t want to hire someone with these qualities?
Interested in finding an internship to give you that experience? Register here and don’t forget to check out our internship offers.